Thursday, April 17, 2014

A To Z: O



The A to Z Challenge is underway this year, thanks to the awesome hosts and minions. Special thanks to Arlee Bird for starting this amazing blogging challenge!!! For more information about this challenge, go to the website!

Primary theme: World of Aramatir (Setting for The Champion Trilogy) Glossary
Secondary Theme: World-Building Questions and Thoughts

O

Odran – A member of the Watch Guard, has an osprey named Louras.

World Building Thought/Question: How much does the world outside of your main character's home affect your character and her/his journey?

From the very first short story rendition of Champion in the Darkness called "The Crystal Sword," my main character, Clara, took up her sword of power to help defend her country against other influences. As the story grew into a novel that grew into a trilogy, more of the "outside" world came into play. Clara meets people from other cultures, including members of the secretive Watch Guard like Odran. These meetings encourage Clara, or challenge her.


7 comments:

Maurice Mitchell said...

Where a person grows up has a huge bearing on what they become. Luke Skywalker not withstanding.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Odran once had an ostrich...
The outside world is where most of my books were set, but it really came into play in the third one.

Carrie Butler said...

I love when a book grows into a trilogy! It's always exciting to take your world-building to a new level. :)

SK Anthony said...

Odran- I like how it rolls off the tongue...Odran. Sorry, I like the name and I'm having too much fun with it lol

I like these world building questions, they make me think. Excuse me while I go scratch my head...

randi lee said...

I quite enjoy the name Odran! A lot of my stories are strongly influenced by their surroundings, just as I always was as a kid--and even now :)

LD Masterson said...

I love the phrase "has an osprey named Louras." I'm not sure why, it just caught me.

cleemckenzie said...

Without their world being well created, characters are easily flat and uninteresting. Enjoying your world building posts.