Friday, June 7, 2013

Belated Heroes and Villains and Celebrate the Small Things

Heroes and Villains Belated (See below to see my villainous late excuse)
This fest is hosted by Jackie at Bouquet of Books and Dani at Entertaining Interests.

My favorite heroes are too many to name so I'm going to go with one childhood favorite and one recent favorite.


Peter Pan - He Can Fly! - was my favorite childhood hero. He was fun, he was clever, and he could fly. For a kid with serious flight envy, what more could I ask for?









Hiro Nakumura of Heroes is one of my recent favorites. He experiences such joy in his abilities at first, and then, even after he discovers the problems with time travel, he makes things as right as he can. His friendship with Ando keeps him going in the right direction - at least so far. I'm watching via Netflix way late, so don't tell me if the show's writers ruin Hiro. I don't want to know. I just watched the episode where Hiro, with his memory wiped to age 10, has rediscovered his purpose in a Kansas comic book store with the help of Ando and two comic book guys. "Best. Day. Ever!"

Villains:
Hook is both a childhood favorite, and a recent favorite. I liked the old Hook from the animated feature, and then I liked the retake on Hook by Dustin Hoffman in Hook, and now, I love the next look at Hook in Once Upon a Time. (I'm also a little behind in this, so don't tell me about the last four episodes).
He's willing to switch sides to look after himself, he's charming and arrogant, and devastatingly handsome. (or at least he thinks so)

My villainous late excuse: The last two days (Wednesday and Thursday) I was torturing (testing) homeschool kids for the state. I was a test proctor (for some reason the word "proctor" evokes the worst images for me). My kids tested in their grade level rooms, and I proctored tests for fifth graders. Yesterday during the math section, there were tears; it was the worst testing session I've ever experienced as a test-giver/proctor. On the upside, we had some great recess/break times - lots of Everybody's It Tag and running. A few kids said they wanted me to come back next year. I was a hero and a villain, all at once. It wasn't comfortable, but thankfully we don't have to do it again for another year.

 This awesome hop is hosted by Viklit!
 
This week, I'm celebrating:
1. Testing is over for another year! Yay! We survived!
2. Swimming three days this week so far.
3. Testing is over! Wait, I already said that . . .but it's worth saying twice.
 
 
 

31 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sure the tears weren't fun, but it's over!

Suzanne Furness said...

Yay for finishing the tests! Have a nice weekend.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I think we're all a little bit hero and a little bit villain. :)

Unknown said...

I always thought Peter Pan had a bit of a mean, bratty streak to him. Even as a kid I didn't find him likable. Odd child, that I was.

Enjoy your weekend!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - exactly! Over is over. Whew!

Suzanne - Thanks!

Madeline - glad I'm not the only one.

Julie - That's all right. I think he did, but for some reason I still liked him . . .
Hope you enjoy your weekend too!

Mark Means said...

Yay for an end to testing!! :)

Some great choices there, especially Hiro. I think you'll enjoy the direction they take him in.

Hook was another good one...a villain with a heart (sort of) :)

Have a great weekend!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Mark - Thanks! I'm glad Hiro is going good places. :)
And yes, Hook almost seems to have a heart :)

Have a great weekend, Mark!

cleemckenzie said...

Some small things do need to be celebrated doubly. I hate testing of any kind, so understand why having it over is worthy of jumping up and down.

Loved that you chose Peter Pan as a hero!

Luanne G. Smith said...

I did like the new take on Hook in Once Upon a Time. He's a great conflicted villain. Perfectly self-centered, yet occasionally willing to stick his neck out for someone else...if it gets him something in return. :)

Anonymous said...

Yea! ...and swimming, that's the best in summer!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad you survived the testing. And yay to the swimming. I walk for exercise. My daughter swims competitively. She can't wait till finals and school is over on Thursday and she can start swimming for hours everyday. Have a great weekend!

Magaly Guerrero said...

I just ordered a copy of The Child Thief by Brom, so I totally understand your Peter Pan love. I think he rocks, and I'm always looking for re-tellings of his story ;-)

SK Anthony said...

Love those heroes! I remember liking Hiro a lot too ;)

Yay for no more testing being over!!!

VikLit said...

Worth saying twice ;)

HOOOK I love him. Ahh. I am way behind as in UK but loving it!

Unknown said...

Testing being over bears repeating. Hooray! Testing is over!!!

Brandon Ax said...

I miss Heroes. Oh well Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is coming soon.

M Pax said...

Yay that testing is over.

Hiro was a great hero. That was a fun show.

Michelle Wallace said...

Testing is over. Yay! What a relief!
I love the sound of "swimming three days..." Wonderful reason to celebrate *sighs* Will I ever get to that stage?
Writer In Transit

Tyrean Martinson said...

C. Lee - it's definitely worth celebrating twice over!
And thanks!

LG - yes, Hook is a wonderfully complex villain, and yet so simple . . .

MJ - yes, it is!

Natalie - Thanks! Walking is wonderful, but I can't walk more than a few miles a few times a week - I have some issues with my left foot - but swimming is all good.
Hope your daughter gets to enjoy swimming soon.

Magalay - I'll have to try that book. :) Thanks for the recommend.

SK - Hiro's enthusiasm is just contagious!

Viklit - definitely worth saying twice, and Hook rocks. I'm sorry you're so behind . . . I've had to wait for UK shows now and then, so I understand.

Jenn - Yes!

Brandon - I'm excited for that show too!

M Pax - It is/was a great show!

Michelle - it's definitely a relief.
And yes, you will get to that stage.
I'm not swimsuit beauty, but I suit up and get in the water anyway.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Glad you survived the testing. Peter Pan was my favourite a long time back.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Once Upon a Time's Hook isn't bad looking either.

mshatch said...

I loved Hiro, too, he was an awesome Hero!

Laura Clipson said...

Aww I loved Hiro, I haven't watched Heroes in a long time.
I've been meaning to watch Once Upon A Time for ages; it seems like my kind of thing!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Rachna - Peter Pan just makes a great impish hero.

Diane - true! :)

Marcy - He was/is an awesome hero!

Laura - You should definitely check it out!

Jack said...

I didn't know they had Hook in Once Upon a Time, I might have to watch it someday just for him

One can never go wrong with Peter Pan.

I am having a party after my book comes out, June 14th. And I'd like to interview some authors for it, then put the interviews up on my blog. I would really like you to be one of the authors. If you are interested, you can get in contact with me at jacklewisbaillot@gmail.com or leave a comment on my blog 8-)

Chancelet said...

Congrats - it is worth saying twice. :)

I did love Heroes, and keep looking for it to come back on. So far not. :( Writer’s Mark

Heather R. Holden said...

Great picks! I only watched Heroes for a couple seasons, but Hiro was definitely one of my faves on that show. Hook from OUAT has been pretty entertaining so far, too!

Misha Gerrick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Misha Gerrick said...

... I find Hook devastatingly handsome.

Is it only me and him, then? ;-P

Jackie said...

OOOH!!! I heart the Hook in Once Upon a Time. :)
Hook is a great villain while Peter Pan is a great hero. Nice job with your choices!
Thanks for participating in the blogfest!

Jeff Hargett said...

I did enjoy Heroes. First season was by far the best though. And Quinto played Sylar well, just like he plays Spock well. There's talent there, I think.

Good news on the testing. Some things are worth saying twice.