Friday, August 3, 2012

Authonomy and Figment


Have you ever heard of Authonomy and Figment?

If so, what do you think?

Authonomy is "An online community of discovery where writers become authors."

Developed by HarperCollins, it's a place you can share your writing with other writers, readers, editors, and supposedly publishers, and find out what they think. You can vote and give feedback, and receive votes and get feedback. As writers, we're supposed to be able to find agents and publishers possibly there . . .the thing is . . .you have to upload 10,000 words of a current project to showcase your work there.


Figment "is a community where you can share your writing, connect with other readers, and discover new stories and authors."

 Figment is another online self-publishing site that has authors of all ages and in varying states of success publishing bits and pieces of stories, novels, poetry, and all kinds of writing. There are ways to get and give feedback. There are writing groups.

Since one of my students' from my Creative Writing class recommended Figment to me last year, and since I had to sign up to leave feedback on her writing there, I threw a few bits of my writing on there . . .things I had previously published on my blog or that were extremely rough and needed feedback.

I've enjoyed using Figment, but I haven't been a regular user. I can't keep up with continual use of that, my blog and facebook (oh, and two e-mail accounts). My twitter use has become almost nil . . .someday I might remedy that.

So, What do you think? Are self-pub sites like Authonomy and Figment worth our time as writers?
Do you use them or sites like them to showcase some of your writing? And do you think I should "upgrade" the quality of my work on figment, since I've thrown some stuff on there haphazardly . . .shudder, what would a professional editor think of my Medusa story? 



And if you're curious and have extra time (who has that?), you can check out my figment page here

18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I get enough information and support through blogging. Can't imagine taking on anything else!

michelle said...

These two sites sound interesting.
But in my opinion, it would be time-consuming...
(I took a peek at the M.M. Trenton story and your haiku, on your Figment page...)

Anonymous said...

Hmm, maybe, though I'd love to have a critique partner that likes to cook. I'm off to check out those sites. Thanks.

PK HREZO said...

I did Authonomy about 4 years ago as a newbie novelist and at first I loved it. I had no network of writers then, and it was great getting so much constructive feedback. But after a few months I realizes, so much was done for reciprocal votes and I was drowning in return reads. It all felt counter-productive to me, so I called it quits.

Ciara said...

I've never heard of them, so maybe I'll check them out. I probably won't be able to take on something else right now, but thanks for sharing this.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - so far I've found that blogging seems to be both the best resource and the best connection to a community of writers.

Michelle - time consuming to keep track of, for sure. Thanks for stopping by!

Gene Pool Diva - sometimes we need to look around the web and see who's out there.

Pk Hrezo - good to hear your take on authonomy!

Ciara - you're welcome!

Arlee Bird said...

Never heard of either, but I'll have to check them out. However, like you I have so much that I'm involved with that I don't know that I can do much more. I like most of what I do now, but maybe there are still more productive outlets to pursue. Always something!


Lee
Wrote By Rote

Angela Brown said...

Those sites are new to me. I might check them out. Getting and giving feedback can be pretty helpful. Downloading 10k words would be interesting for that Authonomy site.

Golden Eagle said...

I've heard of Authonomy, but not Figment. I've never joined any sites like those; blogging takes up so much time and there are a lot of people willing to give feedback.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Arlee- I know what you mean! There is always something new to check out, and so much to do already.

Angela - That's my thought too - that 10k is kind of huge.

Golden Eagle - Blogging does take time, and gives the most feedback!

quietspirit said...

I haven't heard of either site. I am concerned about the time element involved. I get more emails than I can handle now from a sub group of a site I belong to.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I think these type of sites are great for some people. I'm a little wary of sharing my unpublished work to unknown people though (unless it's a submission for publication, of course).

Tyrean Martinson said...

quietspirit - I understand. I've been back and forth with my thoughts on both of these sites primarily due to time consumption.

Lynda R. Young - I understand your concern. I try to stick with short stories and poetry at Figment - especially items that I've already put out on my blog. I'm not sure about authonomy.

Ravena Guron said...

I think it would be a little too time consuming, although it sounds like an interesting idea. I wonder how many people have actually found agents/ publishers through this site?

Charmaine Clancy said...

I haven't heard of them. I don't worry about sharing stuff even if I think it sucks. I figure it will serve to motivate another writer when they realise other people write crap too. But I tend to lose interest in these sites pretty quickly as time overtakes me, and then I go back to sharing with beta readers and eventually hire an editor to go over my work.

mshatch said...

I've heard of Authonomy but blogging and working on my own writing is all I can handle right now. I have heard that one should limit the amount of one's work one puts on-line.

Unknown said...

your blog is great contribution for entire blogosphere, I follow you now here is mine http://jakesprinter.blogspot.com/

Nickie said...

I looked at Figment, but you're right, there are not enough hours in the day to keep up with every networking tool PLUS actually write. I think I'm going to stick to FB and blogging for now.