Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Oooh. I just can't wait! Can I open my presents now?

Ever had that feeling . . . as if anticipation is just coursing through your veins and making you jump up out of your seat?

The Christmas decorations are up. Christmas carols are in the air. Presents surround the tree.

Every morning, mid-day, and evening, my kids inform me of how many days are left until Christmas, and they say - "oooh, I just can't wait! Can I open my presents now?"

I know how they feel. Except I feel that way about more than just Christmas.

I want to open presents, and see them opened.

I want to go skiing (soon, very soon - despite my foot issues).

I really want to go see a number of movies - and that will have to wait. Sherlock Holmes looks so good. So do a number of other movies that are already out.

Then my oldest daughter and I are eagerly anticipating The Hunger Games, and I've read that Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is being made into a movie with the possible release date in March 2013 - and I love that book.

Of course, there is a flip side to all of these highly anticipated events:

Sometimes they don't turn out the way we expect. Sometimes that's good, and sometimes it's challenging.

I love Christmas beyond presents, so there is no challenge there.

My foot and I are still having an argument over skiing - I want to go, but my foot doesn't like walking so skiing might be really hard. (or maybe the hard ski boot will make it easier?)

Movies, especially the ones made from books that I love, sometimes challenge my vision of the characters and their landscape.

However, that is part of the excitement of unwrapping any moment.
We don't know exactly what is inside the shiny paper.

It's kind of like a life of faith. We know the Lord is good. We know He loves us.
We don't know every plan He has for us.
Some may challenge our plans/vision/imagination.
Some may be joy complete.
Living a life of faith is like opening a shiny wrapped up gift of new life every day.


Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

4 comments:

Carol Riggs said...

Nice list of things to anticipate! I'd like to see that Sherlock Holmes movie too, and I need to read ENDER'S GAME! (I've heard of it but haven't read it.) Good analogy of the challenges of life and our own plans! Love that we can unwrap and see what God has in store for us. Here's to 2012!!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And He usually has other things in mind for us!
I can't wait to watch my wife open her gifts. That's always the best part of Christmas morning.

Joanne said...

Beautiful! I hope your Christmas is full of all the things that bring you and your family joy!
merry Christmas!
Blessings, Joanne

Tyrean Martinson said...

Carol - Thanks! Ender's Game is one of my all time favorites - I've read it at least a dozen times. It is one of the most character driven stories I've ever read.

Alex - True! Jesus usually calls us to new plans, His plans and not ours. I agree - watching my family open their gifts is the best part of Christmas morning . . . in addition to munlies, reading the Christmas story, and giving treats to the dogs and the cat.

Joanne - Thanks! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas too! Merry Christmas! Blessings!