Monday, July 11, 2011

Black Bears and Writing Prompts

Cool morning air, beautiful bird song, and alternating views of trees, grassy fields, and the sea greeted me this morning as I went for my every day walk. My beagle wagged and trotted just a little out front, taking the leash to full length and then coming back, happy to sniff a little in the ditch and then return to a steady trot by my side.

Slowly, I realized I hadn't seen any other walkers, or runners. I remembered one of my neighbors telling me of a black bear sighting on our country road. I walked a little faster, and started looking at the underbrush beneath a treed area beside the road.

My right shoe started eating my sock, pulling it down under my right foot. I slowed, thinking about fixing this annoyance.

Then a strange musky odor filled the air, and my dog stiffened with interest.

What happened next?


Imagine the possibilities, consider this a writing prompt, and write your ideas in the comment box.







Scripture Blessings:

"We live by faith, not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5:7

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

One word comes to mind - "Crap!"

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - LOL, and you are right! I think that's all I smelled - bear scat. I just kept moving, and then fixed my sock later.
During the 4th celebrations, a lot of the native critters get irritated at the interloping humans and move their territories. None of the critters are agressive, even the bears.